If you spend hours each week removing unwanted body hair with razors, tweezers and creams, you may be interested in laser hair removal. The procedure eliminates the hair you want to be removed and it stays away for months, if not longer. You can avoid ingrown hairs and razor burn while enjoying soft, smooth, hairless skin.
Laser Hair Removal Facts
It’s always good to understand the treatment in advance. Here are some facts about laser hair removal that you should know.
• The laser only works during the growth cycle of the follicle. Hair grows in cycles and the pigment in the follicle is darkest during the growth cycle. This is the reason it may take multiple treatments to get the results you expect. If you are removing a few hairs on your upper lip or chin it may not take many treatments, but if you are removing the hair on your back, legs or chest, it will take more treatments.
• The procedure is quick. The follicle is damaged with just a few bursts of light from the laser.
• The treated hair will remain on your body until the fall-out stage. After a few weeks, the hair may look like it is growing longer, but it is falling out and you can rub it off with a towel after a shower.
• Our specialist will ask you about your medical history and if you are taking any prescription or over-the-counter medications, birth control pills or dietary supplements. You may need to discontinue taking certain medications or wait until a course of treatment is finished such as with antibiotics.
• We often recommend that you undertake a course of laser hair removal during the winter or cooler months of the year, so when the warm weather arrives, your treatment will be finished and you can enjoy wearing summer clothing without worrying if your hair is starting to grow back or if you need to be waxed.
• It is important not to wax or pluck the hair you want to be removed for several weeks before your treatment. Between treatments, you can shave but avoid waxing and plucking. This is to keep the follicles intact because shaving doesn’t affect the follicles. You may be asked to shave the treatment area the day before your appointment.
When you meet our specialist you can learn more about laser hair removal at Allure Laser & Med Spa in Tinley Park, IL. If you are a good candidate, you may enjoy years of smooth, hairless skin without the hassle of regular upkeep. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!